Vacancy Announcement Senior Expert in Forest Inventories and REDD+
Organisation’s Name Coalition for Rainforest Nations, project “CD-REDD II” Organisation’s Website http://www.cdredd.org Post Title Senior Expert in Forest Inventories and REDD+ Link to vacancy announcement here Duty Station Rome, Italy (with short-term travel to project countries) Deadline for applications 13-05-2012 Contact Person Till Neeff, email@example.com Special requirements Valid work permit for Italy Duration Until 12/2013 Start date Immediately
- The CD-REDD II project
The project is being implemented by the Coalition for Rainforest Nations (CfRN) jointly with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the von-Thünen Federal Research Institute of Germany (vTI).
The focus of CD-REDD II is to empower countries to prepare and manage their national GHG inventory by providing training on all aspects and phases of GHG inventory development with the focus on the AFOLU (Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use) sector. On behalf of CfRN, the project assists developing countries selected among CfRN member countries, and consists in global and regional workshops, in-country training sessions and remote assistance. These countries are: Argentina, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Ghana, Guyana, Liberia, Nigeria and Suriname.
Detailed information on the project is available on the project main page.
- Functions / Key Results Expected
The incumbent will work under the technical guidance of the CD-REDD II project leader based in Rome, Italy, and shall be under the overall supervision of the RNCA Executive Director, based in NY, US.
He/she will have the following tasks:
- Take technical lead for the project activities in 3-4 project countries in Latin American and/or Africa, establishing working relationship with national experts and closely accompanying the work on the forest-related national GHG inventory;
- Lead the project’s team of 2-3 GHG inventory experts during regular visits to the countries;
- Train practitioners from developing countries in forestry sector data requirements, data collection and analysis for GHG inventories, including by undertaking field missions to project countries;
- Review the countries’ draft forest GHG inventories and provide the GHG inventory practitioners with comments on these;
- Collaborate and exchange experiences and lessons learnt with other agencies and institutions involved in capacity building activities for the AFOLU sector of the national GHG inventories in developing countries;
- Carry out any other tasks assigned by the supervisors as per convenience and exigencies of day to day work.
- Recruitment qualifications
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in forestry, environmental science, or other relevant fields.
- At least 3 years experience in working on GHG inventories and REDD+;
- Work experience in training and capacity building.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of the IPCC and forest GHG inventories is essential;
- Understanding of forest and land use inventories is essential;
- Knowledge in REDD+ is required;
- Good understanding of capacity building issues is desired;
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English;
- Knowledge of Spanish is a plus.
Interested candidates are invited to send their curriculum vitae and half a page statement of interest to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org.