Vacancy anouncement for Capacity building and GHG inventory officer
Terms of Reference
Organisation’s Name: Coalition for Rainforest Nations, CD-REDD project
Organisation’s Website: http://www.cdredd.org
Post Title: Capacity building and GHG inventory officer
Link to vacancy announcement: www.cdredd.org/VA.pdf
Duty Station: Rome, Italy (with short-term travel to project countries)
Deadline for applications:20-08-2012 (applications received later will be considered unless position is already filled)
Special requirements: Valid work permit for Italy
Duration: Until 12/2013
Start date: Immediately
Salary level: USD 50 000-80 000 p.a. under a service agreement
II.The CD-REDD project
The focus of CD-REDD is to empower countries to prepare and manage their national GHG inventory by providing training on all aspects and phases of GHG inventory development with the focus on the AFOLU (Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use) sector. On behalf of CfRN, the project assists developing countries selected among CfRN member countries, and consists in global and regional workshops, in-country training sessions and remote assistance. The project countries are located in Latin America and the Caribbean, the Southern part of Africa, West and Central Africa.
The project is being implemented by the Coalition for Rainforest Nations (CfRN), GIZ and the von Thünen Federal Research Institute of Germany (vTI). The CfRN coordinates closely with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the project offices are at FAO premises.
Detailed information on the project is available at http://www.cdredd.org.
III.Functions / key results expected
The incumbent will work under the technical guidance of the CD-REDD project leader based in Rome, Italy, and shall be under the overall supervision of the RNCA Executive Director, based in NY, US.
The incumbent will have the following tasks:
- Take technical lead for the project activities in 2-3 project countries in Latin American and/or Africa, establishing working relationship with national experts and closely accompanying the work on the forest-related national GHG inventory;
- Lead the project’s team of 2-3 GHG inventory experts during regular visits to the countries;
- Organize international, regional and in-country meetings with national experts, officers from developing countries and international technical experts on GHG inventories;
- Train practitioners from developing countries in forestry sector data requirements, data collection and analysis for GHG inventories, including by undertaking field missions to project countries;
- Review the countries’ draft GHG inventories and provide the GHG inventory practitioners with comments on these;
- Facilitate the development of individual country plans for national GHG inventories meeting IPCC Guidelines and satisfying UNFCCC reporting requirements under REDD+;
- Collaborate and exchange experiences and lessons learnt with other agencies and institutions involved in capacity building activities for the AFOLU sector of the national GHG inventories in developing countries;
- Carry out any other tasks assigned by the supervisors as per convenience and exigencies of day to day work.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in a relevant field.
- At least 2-3 years experience in working on GHG inventories and REDD+;
- Work experience in project management in the area of international environment and development;
- Work experience in training and capacity building.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good understanding of capacity building issues;
- Knowledge of the IPCC, GHG inventories and REDD+;
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English and in French;
- Knowledge of Spanish.
Interested candidates are invited to send their curriculum vitae and half a page statement of interest to the following email address: email@example.com.